Films for the Earth is an international centre of excellence for environmental documentaries. It consists of the two environmental education associations in Switzerland and Germany as well as the International Films for the Earth Foundation.
With our selected films, we want to inspire as many people as possible for environmental and climate protection. We aim to inform and inspire them to take action.
Thereby, we focus on films that show the impact of humans on our earth, promote appreciation for nature and offer solutions as well as options for action.
What we do
Films for the Earth brings people in front of environmental documentaries – on location at screenings or online. We do environmental education for both pupils and adults.
We work with curated films of high quality. We know the best and most relevant environmental documentaries worldwide. This allows us to offer the right film for every topic and need.
With our events we wish to create a place for encounters, networking and exchange. It is a space the audience to become aware of environmental issues and solutions, to network with locals and to get motivation to act.
Our activities include film events such as the annual Films for the Earth Festival, a nationwide pop-up cinema, digital school campaigns, film consultations and a film media library with over 600 environmental documentaries.
The majority of our services are free of charge and accessible to all.
What we offer
- Events for pupils and adults – on-site or online
- curated films of high quality
- a public film library with all relevant environmental documentaries worldwide
- school cinema with age-appropriate films for lower, middle and upper school including learning material
- Financing through partnerships, sponsorship and donations
- Free admission – all are welcome
- Volunteers support us on site
- Platform for committed organisations around sustainability at our festival
Focus Films for the Earth Switzerland
- Environmental education with film events such as the Films for the Earth Festival, the nationwide pop-up cinema, digital school events and other film events.
- environmental education through the film media library
- Film consultations and support for third parties in organising film events in Switzerland
Focus Films for the Earth Germany
- Environmental education with the Films for the Earth Festival, the KlasseNkino and school events
- Environmental education through the film media library
- Support for film screenings for non-profit initiatives and associations in Germany
Focus International Films for the Earth Foundation
- International umbrella of the associations Switzerland and Germany
- Distribution and promotion of selected films and other media on the theme of the environment and nature
- Networking with film professionals and creative artists
- Maintenance and expansion of film library
- Film scouting, acquisition of films and their distribution for charitable purposes
- Development and operation of central services for the associations in Switzerland and Germany
Previously on films for the earth
|October 2007||Foundation of Films for the Earth|
|November 2007||First website online, first events outside of Winterthur|
|October 2009||First Film Jury|
|February 2010||Award by the UNESCO|
|April 2011||1. Films for the Earth Festival|
|October 2011||First School event|
|June 2016||Start digitalisation|
|October 2017||10th anniversary of Films for the Earth|
|January 2018||Film library online|
|April 2018||Foundation international Films for the Earth foundation|
|September 2019||Foundation association Films for the Earth Germany|
|September 2020||10th anniversary of Films for the Earth Festival|
|October 2021||Relaunch website|